Sunday, February 1, 2009

Lykke Li Recap

So, I went to a concert last night. The Swedish pop singer Lykke Li performed at the Sixth and I Synagogue in DC's Chinatown area. I went.

To hear a song, click HERE


It began as a day of fesitivities, almost a double birthday party for two of my room mates here, and it continuted until the wee hours of the night, as a danced to the Swedish beats.

See, I had not really thought that it would be, so, well, synogogue-y. There was a huge stained glass window behind the stage, with hebrew letters and a star of david. And I remember thinking that it was the most surreal and strange concert I have ever been to. There were pew-like rows, but as soon as the singer came on stage, there was a mad dash to the front. I somehow was in the very front row, about two feet from the girl. She sang, she danced, and she pretty much brought the house down. It was an overall good concert, but very weird. Something inherently awkward about the whole situtaion, and while some of the crowd seemed into it, alot of people remained sitting and just grooving to the music.

Also, I found out that Lykke Li is 22 years old, so she is my peer, and I cannot help but feel like a failure when I stand in comparison. She is touring the world and performed for sold out concerts, while I am, well, just wandering around.

It was a good time, though, all in all. Lots of fun, Great music.








Just weird arena.

Miss you all,
Love you all,
me.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey! imagine how badly the rest of us feel that this girl who's way younger is so successful?:) you get my point, so don't compare yourself to famous people! but it was fun? how did it end up being at a synogogue? was that the point or is this just a venue that regularly features performers when they're not holding services? omg, three more days! i can't wait!!!! love you and miss you and see you soon!

Anonymous said...

Hey

I didn't know you had this entry.
Just thought it's Friday so it's okay to ditch my work for a second and see if you have something new, and here it is.
I agree with IIIEHbKA - don't compare. No matter who and where you are and what you do, you can always find someone who is better at something, smarter, more successful, more beautiful etc. And you know what: it’s really irrelevant in a big scheme of things.
I'd say live your own life to the best of your abilities and as if you have to answer to a higher authority.:) Don’t feel bad about comparing though: this year of yours is all about self-exploration and discovery (and coming of age I guess), hence this reflection.
This concert sounds like fun though, and it’s always cool to be so close to a performer.

Love you so-o-o-o-o-o much!

Unknown said...

Omg that concert sounds amazing! i'm sure it was probably a bit uncomfortable for you to be all crazy in a temple considering your respect for judaism but I personally feel like I would be okay with a concert at a catholic cathedral, i would even fine that to be something that I would love to do at some point in my life haha really... but i still understand how you would be feeling weird about temple, its a place of worship and it contains the torah but don't mind me saying it still sounds pretty cool! like the staind glass and huge hebrew letters sounds really COOL! if i haven't said that enough already! haha

miss you!